Friday 21 November 2014

An Unexpected Development

Today, not surprisingly, my Terrors were yelping at the Academy. What is surprising, is who was causing the yelps. To my shock, and indeed everyone who was watching's, it was actually Fishlegs, who was distracted by the fact that Ruffnut was next to Snotlout. He felt bad afterwards, but I was almost too stunned to continue the lesson. If it hadn't been for the fact that it was from the least expected person, I would have lashed out and ripped him a new one. I think it scared him too, because when the cry came from Herby's mouth, he jumped a few feet in the air and pulled his hands in to his shoulders and curled his fingers, a horrified and surprised look on his face. When I told Hiccup, he shook his head disbelievingly. He confirmed it with both Herby and Fishlegs, who was nearly inconsolable over his actions. My Terrors, Hiccup, Mom, Astrid and I assured him that it was an accident, and if he wanted, I could set up separators between each student. He said that would probably be a smart idea.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snotlout made a snide comment today. "How come you're teaching us? You've never even gone here to learn!" I rolled my eyes.
"Because, unlike you, I was raised by dragons from the age of 10 on up," I replied. Everyone gasped in surprise. Astrid mentioned that no one knew someone before Hiccup had tried living with dragons without killing them. I glanced briefly at the ground before laughing and looking back at her. Herby flew to my shoulder from his station with Fishlegs and put a gentle hand on my cheek.
"She accidentally killed our tyrannical leader while she was in the woods when she was younger than ten summers. She was watching us as we ate some leftover food she had set out. She had no weapons and moved slowly and calmly. Then all Hell broke loose as our leader landed on her head and began attacking her. She had posed no threat to us, but he attacked. She panicked and grabbed her frying pan, freshly cleaned, and swung wildly, killing him when it hit him in the head," he explained. As if everyone wasn't already shocked! "She didn't mean to, and felt horrible for it. She began crying and by a majority-rules decision, we began to slowly try to calm her down and comfort her. After that we decided that she and she alone would lead us. I would be the go-between because I'm the oldest. And y'know what? Adopting her into our pack was easily the best decision we ever made." He licked my cheek and the Terrors in the Academy swarmed me, landing where they could and giving me a big group hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment