Wednesday 19 November 2014

Surprises, Pleasant and Expected

Well, Hiccup finally stopped beating around the bush and came out with the news that Mom and I have been expecting: he wants me to take over the Academy. The reason is simple: I was practically raised by a pack of Terrors from the age of 10. I start in two days as tomorrow he will make the big announcement. I hope to have my Terrors also help me with teaching. With luck, half of them can be working in my lab while the others help me in the Academy. What's more useful than a dragon you can manipulate to see what happens? I know for a fact that Snotlout, Ruff and Tuff are all tactile learners: they can't sit still (or stop fighting) for more than two minutes! So I will see if my Terrors would be willing to help me with my latest assignment.
While the first bit of news was completely expected, he took us both completely by surprise when he told Mom and I that he was going to ask Astrid's father for his daughter's hand in marriage. Of course we congratulated him, because what else can you say to your brother when he says he's in love and planning on getting married to the girl he's been interested in for many years? If Mr. Hofferson says no, I'll see if I can convince him otherwise. Hiccup might be the chief, but he's not exactly brave when it comes to challenging someone. Drago was a unique case, and that was only because he killed our father and dragon-napped Toothless.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mom had a nightmare last night. I'm a light sleeper so I woke up to her speaking, seemingly to herself. I crept downstairs and saw her fighting her blankets. I waited a few moments to see if it was indeed a nightmare before I woke her up. We sat up and talked about it all night, not that it was long until daybreak. Her nightmares seem to almost mirror mine: we're back at Dad's funeral when something happens that he's not dead. Here's where ours differentiate: she dreams that Hiccup died, and I dream that Dad is stuck on the burning ship and for some reason can't jump overboard.
We jump in the water and swim out toward the ship, but can't reach it in time. She asked me not to tell Hiccup about this, so I hope he doesn't come across this blog. Her nightmares do explain her insistent and near-obsessive interest in hugging him whenever she gets the chance. I kind of envy her, as she can hug Hiccup whenever she gets scared, while I have to cozy up to Darrien, or sneak over to my treelab and wake Herby.

No comments:

Post a Comment