Sunday 23 November 2014

Practicing for the Big Day

Well, the proposal didn't go as planned, but the end result was spectacular. They're engaged now, and they asked me to help them plan it! Okay, okay, let me start with this morning:

I woke up in my tree lab with Hiccup looming over me, inches from my face. I yelped and sat up, bashing both our heads together. We groaned and rubbed the sore spots, before I asked him what his problem was.
"I'm excited, nervous, and anxious. Today's the day, but what if she says no?" he said, a panicked tone in his voice. I swung out of my hammock and sat him down on a stool near my kitchenette.
"If she says no, then it's her loss. End of story. And you woke me up to tell me that?!" I whined. I rubbed my face sleepily, then hauled him to his feet, preparing for either a scolding or a pep-talk. I didn't get a chance to, however, because Mom came in on Cloudjumper, twittering excitedly.
"Today's the big day, Son! You nervous?" she chirped, barely able to contain her enthusiasm.
"Terrified," he replied. His hands were trembling, and he was noticeably tense. I hugged him for encouragement, not trusting my voice to keep from yawning.
"You'll do fine," I assured him after a moment. He ran a hand over my messy braid and hugged me tight before releasing me. I went over to where the Terrors had my soup from last night on to simmer. I lifted the lid and it was ready to serve. I got out a few bowls and dished us out some breakfast. Mom commented on how delicious it was and how did I get so good at cooking? "I've got only one secret: trial and error." Then I explained how there was only one recipe I went by-the-book on: my Feel Better cookies. Basically they're just extra thick chocolate chip cookies. after breakfast, I told Hiccup to go about his chiefing duties to get his mind off it, and meet at the Academy at around sunset. It was Astrid's turn to help me clean up today, and we usually spent an extra hour talking about stuff, both dragon-related and not. 
The gods must have been in a good mood today because not a single yelp came from the Terrors, and in fact several times I heard them comment on how much better this was than working in my lab. Well class ended and Astrid and I began cleaning up, straightening the desks, sweeping the floors, and rearranging the equipment for the next day's lesson. A whistled a shrill note and my Terrors began dropping a few rose petals at a time around Astrid. Soon she was surrounded by a shower of petals that began settling on her shoulders and hair, one even on her nose. Then Hiccup entered and began whistling. I took that as my cue to leave, so I slipped out quickly and quietly, joining Mom and the rest of the village to watch the proposal unfold. They performed the song almost flawlessly, as Astrid had been singing to the wrong tune, but I couldn't correct it without giving anything away. But she got it eventually though. At the last line Hiccup knelt down on a knee and asked her to marry him. She was stunned, and could only nod as tears of joy flowed down her face. A cheer rang out from the crowd and the village threw a party for them. It was at this party they asked me to help them plan their wedding. I happily agreed. 

Congratulations, Hiccup and Astrid, and may you have many years of happiness together!

No comments:

Post a Comment