Tuesday 9 December 2014

End of a Weapon

Well, my bow broke yesterday. It was the bow I had when I became a Haddock, so I guess it's fitting that I lose it after a few years. It'll take me a month to make another one. Until then, I won't be hunting excepting my traps. I'll put up several snares and a few pit-fall traps. I have perfected them, so Berk won't have as much meat for the winter. I can only hope we have enough to survive the winter. Unless someone gives me a new one and I break it in relatively quickly.
--------------------------------------------------------
I know it's a sad day for me. I'm forgetful, I know that. But I didn't think it was possible for me to forget my own birthday! Hiccup and Mom surprised me with a party. My brother then brought out a gift Dad had made for me before his death. It's made of a beautiful, dark mahogany with gold and silver inlays and a silver handle that was so intricately carved tears sprang to my eyes. I managed to keep them at bay until I read the inscription in the handle itself:
"To Nina, Love always, Dad."
Hiccup, Mom, and I hugged, comforting each other. I miss him so much. The bow itself is taller than my old one, but it's stronger than my other one. I can pull it back and actually feel resistance. Who knew breaking something could open a door to new opportunities?

No comments:

Post a Comment